Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

What a crazy week this has been. On Sunday night we finally got word that the movers would be here Monday between 12 and 2. Hurray, we thought!! We were so excited... until 2pm came and went, as did 3,4,5,6,and 7pm. At 8pm the driver finally showed up...solo. Nick and I wondered how on earth this man was going to unload all of our belongings on his own? Did he have some sort of Herculean type power which was not visible to the naked eye? Seemingly confident, Allan our driver made his best attempt to unload as much as he could (in the pouring rain) but sadly even with Nick and I helping we couldn't finish the job. So we gave up at about 1am. After spending the night parked on our cul de sac in his 18 wheeler (which took down a few of the neighbors telephone lines), Allan the driver (and the 2 little elves who arrived Tuesday morning to help) quickly got the truck unloaded (in the pouring rain).

I think as far as moves go this was the worst...but I say that every time. Perhaps our choice in moving companies has gotten progressively worse. This time though things have gone wrong...bad things. Besides being ridiculously late with the delivery of our goods, the movers #1) put a few nice deep gashes in my newly refinished hardwood floors (I'll say no more on that subject), #2) destroyed a book shelf (no big deal it was a Target special), #3) lost the screws to Annabelle's crib (quickly solved with a trip to Home Depot, but the poor child had to be relegated back to Nana & Papa's for our first night in the new house), #4) broke Jack's swing (OK, he's getting too big for it anyway), #5) and this is the most annoying- lost (read stole) a box which contained our entire DVD collection AND my Christmas CD's (nice timing)! I guess I deserve it for actually labelling the box properly.

That being said, there are worse things in life than an unpleasant move... like waking up Thanksgiving morning with a tropical rain forest in your basement. Or giving your daughter a bath only to find that when you drained the tub all of the water came up through the downstairs toilet (resulting in a very smelly wading pool in your kitchen and bathroom). Then having to clean up that very smelly wading pool without the use of running water...or gloves. Like I said, there are worse things in life than an unpleasant move and this year on Thanksgiving I am very thankful. I am thankful for my health, and that of my family and friends, but most of all, on this day, I am thankful that my Uncle knows a thing or two about plumbing.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: