Friday, October 12, 2007

And Worst Mother Of The Year Goes To...

The woman who landed her son in the emergency room by dislocating his elbow!

Um, that would be me.

Cause earlier this morning, that is what I did.

There we were, walking through a parking lot heading to the gym, yoga mat and diaper bag in one hand, Jack holding my other, Annabelle happily skipping along next to me. Next thing I know Jack decides he doesn't want to hold my hand anymore and becomes dead weight. Being the naive mother that I am, I thought that holding on to his hand and trying to pull him up might actually keep him from hitting the pavement. Boy was I wrong.

Next thing I know I hear a little *pop* and Jack is on the ground screaming. I knew before I even picked him up that this was not the typical defiant toddler scream, but rather a -I'm in a lot of pain- type of scream. Which it was. I had guessed that the *pop* I heard might have been his shoulder, as he was unable to move his arm, but apparently it was his elbow.

So I resign myself to the fact that I will not be making it to yoga and I drag my two screaming monkeys back to the car, because at this point Annabelle is in full melt down because she wants to go and play with her friends at the gym daycare, and I head home to call the Doctor, who immediately tells me to take Jack to the E.R.

After dumping Annabelle with my neighbor, Jack and I head off to meet Nick at the hospital. Once there they decide that he has what they call Nursemaid's Elbow, which I guess is very common in young children who get dragged around by their parents. The Doctor did some crazy twisty-turny maneuver with his arm and popped it back into place. Within a few minutes Jack's wing was as good as new...

But I think, having contributed to the cause of his first emergency room visit, I might take a bit longer to recover.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This deserves a HUGE car !!!!
The color of Jack's choice.

He does not look like it has traumatized him.
You're still a great Mom !!!

Pendullum said...

If it is any consollation, a good friend of mine was playing 'airplane' with his kid and well, the kid slipped out of his hands and went full blast into the stairs...
six stitches later and a decade later it is still lookes upon as the 'Airplane incident'..