Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Torture

My little Canon point and shoot is busted again. I turned it on yesterday and it made some horribly sad struggling motor sounds and then beeped an E18 message at me. I did some research (gotta love the Internet) and found that there is actually a whole web site devoted to the E18 message, which apparently, is a pretty common problem. But what exactly is the E18 message? According to the web site, and I quote; "Canon E18 error happens when the lens gets stuck while trying to extend". That would make sense, since my lens got stuck when it tried to extend!

So this morning I took the camera back to Best Buy. They were the ones who "fixed" my camera back in August (when I dropped it on the lens while it was extended), and I'm guessing that they didn't fix it properly, because after I got it back 90% of my pictures were out of focus and I thought I needed glasses! Turns out, it was most likely E18 related all along. They are going to take another stab at repairing it and I should have it back in a few weeks.


Anyway... Since I was going to Best Buy, and know exactly what I am getting for Christmas from Nick, he agreed that I could pick up my present while I was there dropping off the point and shoot. I really want a new camera more than I want to be surprised at Christmas, so I was more than happy to pick it up myself. Little did I know, not only was the camera of my desire on sale BUT there was also a promotion, and I was able to get an additional lens (55-200mm), a camera bag, an extra battery and an instruction manual, all for about half the price of the lens alone!

So there it is, my new Nikon D40x and friends. In the box. Torturing me until December 25Th.

3 comments:

Emilie said...

Lucky, lucky you! that is a good present!

Donna said...

If the Canon is broken and in for repairs, you need to use something to capture your cherubs. Really, how can you be expected to have a fantastic camera just sitting in a box and not be using it? You need to take it for a test drive. I won't tell.

By the way, I did notice that your pictures were rather blurry. The same thing happened with my Canon when it was repaired. This time they sent me a different camera and are passing it off as my repaired camera (it is missing the little dent at the top).

Anonymous said...

"I really want a new camera more than I want to be surprised at Christmas"

This is me last year! Although mine arrived closer to Christmas (you might wanna have yourself a look around B&H photo's website) I opened it immediately! And my new lens that I got this Christmas came yesterday. Opened that too. Christmas morning is about the kids anyway, you don't wanna miss capturing their first expressions when the see the Santa loot!